Monday 27 May 2013

Feeling Blue? How to Feel Rosy Again with this Quick Herbal Pick-me-up...

Some days things just don't go my way...

I'm late for work. I can't find my keys and realise I don't have change for the bus... A misinterpreted comment snowballs into an awful argument that takes me by surprise...

After a challenging day at work, I come home to find an unexpected bill in my letter box... I need to pay it off urgently online but my computer is in the shop having crashed last week...

I decide I'll run myself a nice hot bath and soak away my worries with the scent of aromatic essential oils, ahhhh...

But I realise the gas heater timer was not reset and there's no hot water!!!

AAARRRGGHH!!!@*%!!!

In life, days like these are guaranteed.

So when your emotions are frayed, here's a heart warming herbal recipe to help put everything back in perspective...


Honey, Rose and Fresh Mint 'Hug in a Mug'

Ingredients:

Fresh or dried rose petals
Fresh mint
Honey
Hot water


Directions:

1. Select your most comforting tea cup or mug.

2. Add a teaspoon of rose petals and a large bruised sprig of fresh mint (take a deep inhale of each before adding to the cup).

3. Pour over hot freshly boiled water. Infuse for 5-10 mins to your personal strength preference.

4. Strain off herbs and stir in honey to taste, garnishing with an extra small sprig of mint.

5. Sit in a favourite spot with your feet up, put on some relaxing tunes, and enjoy the sweet heart-opening revitalising elixir.

As Mary Poppins says, "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down." In this case, a touch of honey and rose can help us swallow the bitter pills of life.

The lovely delicate feminine rose aroma reminds us to be kind to ourselves and others and has an uplifting effect. Mint's cooling taste takes some 'heat' out of the situation, with a therapeutic anti-spasmodic effect to help unwind those tense muscles. Honey binds the two with its sweetness. It feels like a real treat, enhancing the self-nurturing effect.

Here are a few more floral tips to get those rose-tinted glasses on again...
  • Add 2-3 drops of rose essential oil per 5ml base oil (such as jojoba, sweet almond or grapeseed oil), mix well and store in a small bottle to carry around with you apply to pulse points and rub gently into the chest area when feeling low... Also useful to have on hand to share with friends who are needing support.
  • Add distilled rose water to a small spray bottle and spritz into the air to instantly lighten the environment. This is also lovely on hot skin in the summertime and to diffuse an angry atmosphere.
  • Rose petals sprinkled into your bath (once the hot water has warmed up!) gives a touch of luxury and helps you feel nurtured and loved.

If rose is not to your taste, do not despair. Try these delightful alternatives... Chamomile, Orange Blossom (Neroli), and Lavender.

Hope you feel inspired by these rose remedies. Give them a go... I'd love to hear your floral experiences, or do get in touch to share your own rose based and uplifting recipes.

Wishing you flourishing wellness and rose petals,

Fiona

Fiona Morris is an Edinburgh-based Medical Herbalist promoting optimal well being and vitality at her holistic herbal health care courses, workshops, wild remedy walks and herbal wellness consultations. For more info about her practice and natural health events visit: http://www.fionamorrisherbalist.co.uk.

2 comments:

  1. This feels so lovely. A hug in a mug. And the rose petals .... beautiful. I haven't made a tea with it.... and with this being so simple with things I have in hand, I'll be sure to give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sure you will love it Shirley! Great that you have the ingredients at hand already. Rose petals in tea of any kind is simply divine. Enjoy, lovely xox

      Delete